Rather than quitting makeup all together, I decided to start being more mindful about what makeup I was using and what was in the ingredients list. Here's some helpful hints on choosing makeup that won't cause breakouts or worsen your acne...
- Always opt for non-comedogenic makeup. You can often find liquid foundations, powders, blushes, etc. that are non-comedogenic. Non-comedogenic products won't clog pores, which means that they are less likely to cause breakouts.
- Use powder instead of liquid foundation. Liquid foundations are more likely to clog pores. Additionally, powder also helps control shine while liquid foundations may actually worsen oily skin.
- Avoid using makeup when possible. If you can get through a day without putting on makeup, then do it! For example, sometimes I don't really have any plans for the day other than maybe running a few errands. Rather than put makeup on just to go visit the post office or grocery store I decide to give my skin a break. So, give your skin a break when possible. I'm not saying stop wearing makeup, just cut back if you can.
- Switch to mineral makeup. Mineral makeup typically has less harmful chemicals and harsh ingredients, so it's usually the better option. You can find mineral foundation, blush, eyeshadow, etc.
- Use oil-free foundations. Most acne sufferers also suffer from oily skin, so try to find makeup that clearly states oil-free on the label.
- Make sure that you keep all of your makeup tools clean. Wash your makeup brushes regularly to prevent bacteria build up.