When choosing a foundation always apply the following rules:
- Only use foundations that are oil-free. The product should clearly state on the label whether or not it is oil free. If you use oily foundations it will only create the perfect environment for bacteria.
- Be sure that the foundation is non-comedogenic. This means that it won't clog pores, which is one of the main causes of breakouts in the first place.
- Opt for mineral based foundations when possible. Mineral foundations typically don't have as many harmful chemicals and irritants as other foundations.
- Always use a clean applicator to apply your foundation. Using the same applicator over and over will further spread bacteria.
- If you don't have to use a liquid foundation, try using a mineral powder. Using powder will help reduce shine and won't make your skin as oily feeling as a liquid foundation.